Monday, June 26, 2017

The story behind Farrah Fawcett's famous poster is interesting

I honestly want one of my own.
I had planned on just posting the famous wall art and nothing more, but Vanity Fair's article about the poster is too interesting not to share.

Originally, the company behind the poster, Pro Arts, Inc, wanted Farrah Fawcett to wear a bikini, figuring wisely that that rocking body would sell more than a few posters. But there was one problem: Fawcett didn't own a bikini. Instead, she donned the now famous swimsuit, did her own hair and makeup, and after the addition of an old blanket on the back of photographer Bruce McBroom's truck, history was made.

More than that, Farrah Fawcett chose the picture sent to the company herself, first selecting six pictures from the 40 rolls taken, and finally the one you see above. Basically, she did everything but take the picture and print the posters herself, which back in the 70s was probably a remarkable thing.

And of course, as we all know, the poster of Farrah Fawcett in her red bathing suit and killer smile went on to become the best-selling poster in history. It's kind of funny in a way, because I doubt the idea that she was about to make history, to become iconic, probably ever occurred to her. She was just taking a photograph for a poster. The hands of fate took over after that.

1 comment:

  1. My original - once up on my bedroom wall at my parents' house - is now rolled up securely in a tube in my own storage cupboard (right next to where I'm siting now), along with similar-sized posters of the other original Angels.

    ReplyDelete