Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I am not a smart man

My dad couldn't get the webcam on his laptop to work for the past few days. His computer runs on Windows 8 and the camera app kept saying that it needed permission to run (it clearly had it before) and that permission could be given in the apps setting.

I had no clue what that meant and I spent about an hour or so searching the computer and the internet for the permissions setting. All the official help pages and forums did nothing, but I eventually found a video on YouTube from Acer with the exact solution I needed. It turns out that when you go into one of Win8's apps, the sidebar (which Microsoft calls "The Charm" and I don't) has different settings than what it normally does. I have no idea how the setting had gotten turned off, but it did.

It's always the minor things that trip you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment