Sunday, December 21, 2014

Interesting little problem and a simple fix: videos won't play because of a green screen

Just had this happen with my dad's laptop. He was trying to watch a video on Facebook and while the audio played, the screen was almost as green as the ones they use in movies nowadays. Now, I'm no techie, but I went through the usual procedure of checking to make sure Flash was up to date and that Flashblock wasn't behind it. Yes and no on both of those. Then I checked YouTube to see whether it wasn't anything more than a Facebook problem and yup, videos on there wouldn't work right either, even after a good ole CTRL+F5. After that, I went for the tried and true method of diagnosing any computer related problem: I googled it.


The answer was pretty mundane and the fix simple: right click on the video, go to settings and disable hardware acceleration. Refresh and boom, it's fixed. Tip of the hat to Lifehacker for having the fix.

Pictures via thewinterarcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment