Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Russian invasion

I was checking the stats on my fantasy blog, Sword, Dragons, and Nerds this morning and noted that I had 105 hits yesterday and over 230 today. Now, I know that blog doesn't get anywhere near that many hits in normal circumstances and out of curiosity, checked this and my scifi blog, Rayguns and Space Suits and sure enough, they're also registering higher than normal hits. Some more snooping and I figured out the source of these abundant pageviews: Russia. According to the "Audience" section of Blogger's stats page, Russia is well ahead of even the United States in terms of visits to my blogs.

I also know that the hits are total BS. The other stats aren't showing any particular website that these "visitors" are coming over from, so I'm obviously not being slashdotted and they're not finding my blogs via search engines, so that leaves only one possibility: bots.

This is one of those things that Blogger needs to address. They need to implement a way of keeping hits from bots from showing up as pageviews.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for filling me in. Stupid bots. It's always the bots and I need to know my real numbers dammit. Thanks Putin.

    ReplyDelete