Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Things I would do if I were Bill Gates rich #1: In which I piss off the city of Los Angeles and possibly the entire state of California

I'm test driving "Things I would do if I were Bill Gates rich" is going to be semi-regular feature because I often think about what I would do if I were as rich as Gates. I mean, the man's worth what, $80 billion at this point? I can do a lot of good and the most dastardly evil with that kind of cash.

Today's inaugural post is based on something interesting I learned yesterday. Did you know that prior to 1960, the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team was based in the Land of a Thousand Lakes, Minnesota? They were called the Minneapolis Lakers back then. Their name suddenly makes a lot more sense with that piece of info. I'm sure you might see where I'm going with this and either cackling or shaking your head, but either way, keep reading.

Wikipedia.
As I already said, you can do a lot with $80 billion, be it good or evil and what I would do here could go either way. Guessed what I would do yet? Yup, I would buy the Lakers with the express purpose of moving them back to Minnesota. Now, if you live in LA, this would piss you off to no end. If you live in Minnesota, this would be either great news or just plain weird. Certainly the Timberwolves would probably be nonplussed at having to share the state with the Lakers.

Of course, the NBA is unlikely to ever allow such a relocation for multiple reasons ranging from whether Minnesota could support two basketball teams to the loss of revenue from a big market like Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment