Friday, January 6, 2017

2017 reading goals

2016 was a mighty good year when it came to reading. I found myself gripped with a sudden and never ending hunger to read and ended the year with 26 books under my belt, more than doubling the 12 I read the year before. Not bad, considering my goal was 15 books. So with the dawn of a new (and hopefully better) year, I figured it would be a good idea to come up with some goals.

I'm going to set the number of books I want to read this year to 15. I didn't think I could meet that number last year, but I proved myself wrong, so that should be an achievable number for me. I was tempted the set the number higher, but I don't want to go off half-cocked and set it too high. At the same time, that 15 is the minimum that I want to read and I sure as hell going to try and exceed it.

I want to increase the number of books written by women. I just did a tally and I only read books by six women. I don't know what would be a good number other than more than six.

I was thinking of diversity as well. As best I can remember, Kazuo Ishiguro and Octavia Butler are the only two non-white writers I've ever read. Not great. Even worse with queer writers, which is a big fat zero. I plan on upping the numbers on both if I can.

Another thing I want to do is read more non-SF&F fiction. I have a bunch that I've picked up over the years that are just sitting on shelves or boxed up, so I may as well put an effort into reading them. At the very least I want to read Les Mis and some of the Charles Dickens I have.

So to sum it all up: 15 books minimum, more women, queer, and writers of color, and more non-SF&F. If I manage any of this, I'll be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment