Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Gifted is a really good show, y'all


I was skeptical when I first heard about The Gifted because I react to trailers the same way I react to seeing Jehovah's Witnesses - I avoid them. Sometimes by turning off the lights and pretending I'm not there. Sometimes by hiding in someone's shrubbery. So because of that, I had the impression that the show was about two parents on the run with their mutant children and that was that.

Kind of like 90s TV show Promised Land, if Promised Land had been cool. Which it wasn't.

What we got with The Gifted instead is a genuinely great X-Men series that Fox will be more than happy to cancel at the end of the season because Fox hates everything that is happiness and joy. The choice of characters from the X-Men mythos is interesting. Obviously, they couldn't use any of the major characters from the movie franchise, but the selection isn't terrible. We've got Thunderbird, the ill-fated X-Man who in the comics was killed off almost immediately; Polaris, who is quite aggressive and quite pregnant with Eclipse, a character created for the show. The show also has its own version of Blink and her skepticism at everything the Mutant Underground does is refreshing. I like a character who isn't just going to accept everything the other protags do because conformity will be the downfall of our civilization.

Conformity and Marvel's Inhumans.

But yeah, it's a great show and can't recommend it enough. Just be sure to watch it before Fox gets around to canceling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment