Friday, September 2, 2011

Snake Eyes, everyone's favorite G.I. Joe bad ass

Not even joking, he was the de facto favorite, even if kids proclaimed liking another character, Snake Eyes was also there to trump them. It's not that big of a surprise either, the guy is a frakking ninja who regularly employed guns and swords. He was like the embodiment of a bad ass. He had another quality that was intriguing too: his silence. Snake Eyes never talk in neither the comics or the cartoons. His face was only  shown once near the end of the G.I. Joe comic's run at Marvel and with good reason; he was horribly disfigured.

As the story goes, he lost his face and his voice during an early G.I. Joe mission. The helicopter he, Scarlet and the others were on crashed, and while everyone was able to bailout before it hit the ground, Snake Eyes stayed behind to help free Scarlet, who had become stuck. While he was doing that, a window exploded, nailing him in the face and throat with glass, which would ruin anybody's day. He survived, but was horribly scarred and refusing immediate medical attention, lost his ability to speak. Of course, he doesn't look like that now, thanks to plastic surgery he received in one of the post-Marvel series.

I'm still a big Snake Eyes fan and I plan on eventually buying some G.I. Joes to decorate my bookcase and rest assured, he will be the first I buy. Him and Storm Shadow. Epic ninja fight, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment