Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I'm still 'meh' about Man of Steel, but here's the trailer anyways



Sorry, I just can't get over how terrible the new costume is. Hit the jump for a rant.


Huh, I didn't realize "Super-Bulge" was one of his powers.
Did Jim Lee design it? No, if it was Lee, the costume would be covered in needless lines. If it nipples, then we could blame Joel Schumacher. Then again, that bulge could be a variation of bat-nipples. Not that it matters to me; I don't plan on watch Man of Steel when it comes out. Initially, I thought it was because of how hideous the costume looks, but I don't think that alone would keep me away. Instead, I think it's more of a fatigue and general disinterest in superhero movies. I dwelled on it for a bit and realized that the disinterest is because Marvel and DC are playing it safe.

What I mean is that both companies are only doing movies that they know will be successful. Batman is a safe bet, as is Spider-Man. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Watchmen, Avengers, etc. Sure, they've done movies about Jonah Hex and Ghost Rider, but those are exceptions that prove the rule. Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy are moves in the right direction for Marvel, but how about Black Panther and Luke Cage movies? After all, it was an African-American superhero that revived the comic book movie genre. On the DC side, how about a Static Shock movie? Some movies featuring female superheroes would be nice too, Catwoman and Elektra be damned.

Basically, as long as Marvel and DC keep focusing on their A-list, I'm not terribly interested in watching them when they hit theaters. I'm not boycotting them, but my interest will have to be really, really piqued to want to see their movies. At the same time, where's Dark Horse, Image, Oni and all of these other labels? Hellboy and Scott Pilgrim all you guys have to offer? If so, then wow, that is sad as fuck.

Picture via Collider. Cock bulge via somebody with clearly too much time on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment