Sunday, August 14, 2011

Like a record baby, right round, round round: A review of Robert Charles Wilson's Spin

I finished Spin the other day and I thought it was pretty good. The plot involves an event called the Spin, wherein all the stars disappear all at once and every satellite in orbit crashes back to Earth. Two things are soon discovered: 1. The stars are still there, the Earth has been surrounded in what is eventually called the spin membrane. 2. Time is moving faster on the other side of the membrane. Very fast. Months are like millenia. The plot is told from the perspective of Tyler Dupree from two different time periods - one where he witnesses the Spin happening and grows up in a increasingly desperate society. The second period is sometime in the future and concerns him undergoing a medical procedure in Indonesia. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, so I'll leave it at that. The supporting cast includes Diane and Jason Lawton, Tyler's childhood friends and as the book progresses, we see how they each handle the situation. Of the two, Jason plays a more prominent role. The segments of the story where Tyler meets and interacts with Diane as they grow and age are a bit of a drag, because they don't seemingly progress the story at first, but it all comes together at the end.

Spin is the first in a trilogy of books, the other two being Axis and Vortex. I haven't read them yet, but I plan on diving into Axis soon enough. I'm not terribly good at reviews, so instead I'll just give my recommendation on this book: Read it. I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment