Thursday, August 25, 2011

Steve Jobs' letter of resignation

For those sleeping for the last 24 hours, Steve Jobs resigned yesterday as CEO of Apple, but will remain with the company as Chairman of the Board. Here's his resignation letter.


Letter from Steve Jobs

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve
A sad day indeed. I know there are people rolling their eyes at the reaction his resignation is getting, but the fact remains that this man was is a giant of the tech world. He helped create the Apple I and II, and founded Pixar. What he did with Apple when he returned to the company is pretty amazing. At the time, Apple was near bankruptcy and there was speculation that the company might not survive another year. Now it’s the most valuable company in the world. Not bad. Granted, Jobs does have a reputation for being kind of an asshole, but you can’t deny he hasn’t had a huge impact not just in the world of computers and consumer electronics, but also on nerd culture.

I don’t own anything made by Apple and probably never will, but I do respect Steve Jobs and what he’s done, and honestly, I’m sorry to see him resign.

No comments:

Post a Comment