Monday, December 31, 2012

No, kids, this isn't dubstep, it's the sound of a dial-up modem connecting to the internet.



Ah yes, the memories. Having to hear that noise whenever I wanted to get online every five hours, because for whatever reason, the 56k modems disconnected after five hours. Then there were all the times that I was either downloading something off the net or playing an online game like Diablo II and someone would call and disconnect me. I can't count the number of times I would be about the finish a quest in D2 and that would happen, or someone would need to use the phone.

It wasn't all bad, I do have some funny memories from those bygone days. Like spending six hours (or longer) downloading a 24MB file or waiting ten minutes for a three minute video on YouTube to finish loading. I'm not joking. I honestly can't even imagine what it must be like to use the internet now with dial-up.

Fond memories, but thank god for broadband.

No comments:

Post a Comment