Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Quentin Tarantino might direct the next Star Trek movie? Beam me out of here, Scotty!

So yeah, there's talk going around that famed director Quentin Tarantino is teaming up with J.J. Abrams for the fourth Trek movie in the Kelvin-timeline, with the possibility of him stepping into the director's chair.

My reaction to this: No.

My longer reaction: God, NO.

I can respect the fact that Tarantino is one of the great directors and all, but letting him helm a Trek movie is like letting Tommy Wiseau direct Star Wars: Episode IX. I'd prefer Justin Lin coming back for a second time since I thoroughly enjoyed Star Trek Beyond, but alas, it probably won't happen because while STB made a lot of money, it didn't make a lot of money and that's what matters to the studios.

I'll admit that I originally had a negative reaction when Justin Lin was announced as the director of STB and that opinion was summarily sentenced to life imprisonment on Rura Penthe as soon as I watched that movie, but this is different. I just think Tarantino's style is too different for Star Trek.

But it's out of our hands and we'll just have to wait and see if he does direct and just hope that he doesn't have Spock call the Klingons the n-word.

No comments:

Post a Comment