Friday, December 8, 2017

Well, this is weird: Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow will start sharing the same timeslot next year

Arrowverse Wiki.
Strange, weird, and damn unusual are words that I'd use to describe The CW's announcement that starting next month two of their Arrowverse shows, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, will be sharing the same timeslot.
Following the announcement that The CW’s new superhero entry Black Lightning would be displacing Legends on the midseason schedule, the network has revealed that Legends is moving to Monday nights at 8 p.m. ET in 2018.

Here’s what this means for Supergirl, which already airs in that timeslot: After the holidays, Supergirl will return for four weeks starting Jan. 15, after which Legends will air nine weeks of original episodes starting Feb. 12, while Supergirl takes a break until it reclaims the timeslot on April 16 following the Legends season finale on April 9. Supergirl‘s season finale will then air June 18. What this all adds up to is 23 consecutive weeks of new episodes of Supergirl and Legends.
Arrowverse Wiki.
So both shows will disappear for two months while each take turns airing their remaining episodes. This bugs me, honestly, because I'm afraid it could negatively impact each show's ratings and chances of being renewed. I love Legends to the point of it being my favorite of the Arrowverse, and while I no longer watch Supergirl, I'd still hate to see either get cancelled.

Hopefully neither will, but we'll just have to wait and see.

(h/t Tim Knight's Twitter)

2 comments:

  1. Weird is the right word! Not sure how this will help either show. I, for one, watch all four DCTV shows religiously, but I'm increasingly discovering that more people pick and choose which they watch. Isn't this strange new arrangement just going to 'confuse'people and lead to a decline in casual viewers (e.g. if they're fans of Supergirl, but tune in and see it's Legends are they going to switch off?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope neither is harmed in the ratings by this odd decision. I only stopped watching Supergirl because I wasn't fan of her pairing with Mon-El and it didn't seem like anything was happening for most of the season until the last few episodes. Still, love the characters.

      Delete