Monday, June 24, 2019

Welp, I won't be visiting that website again

So every since I got this new phone, I've been surfing the net on it a lot more than I did with my old one. Mostly I've been hitting up Google News and their "Discover" feature. Anyways, the latter suggested an article from Bleeding Cool about how Marvel is just killing off characters left and right. I don't read comics anymore, but my interest was piqued and I clicked to give the article a look-see.

I ended up ditching it and the site in short order. Why? Ads. Ads that were so intrusive and annoying that it killed any interest I had in reading the article or having anything to do with Bleeding Cool ever again. It's not even that there were ads because I grok that websites need ad revenue to exist and with how fucked up the ad market is, it's a struggle for even successful websites to keep the doors open and the lights on. Still, there's a limit on how much I can tolerate. Basically, in a few seconds of the site loading, I had to deal with an ad banner at the bottom of the screen (which honestly wasn't a big deal because most sites I've visited have those), two irritating pop-ups wanting to know if I would like to receive notifications from Bleeding Cool, one of them really didn't want to take "no" for an answer. The other one was from my browser itself, so I'm not going to count that against them.

But the coup de grace had to be the ad banner that popped up and covered the entire article. I don't even remember what the ad was for exactly - either for a car or insurance. Either way, it doesn't matter because that was the straw that broke the camel's back. And to be clear, I've gone to other sites just to make sure the ads weren't something on my end and I've not had the same problem on them that I did on Bleeding Cool.

Like I said earlier, I get that websites need ad revenue to survive and I'm okay with that. I will gladly turn uBlock off for websites and blogs that I frequently visit. But, dude, if a visitor's user experience is being bombarded by ads that annoy them and cover up the content that they're there to read, then you're not going to get too many repeat visitors.

1 comment:

  1. Oh god, yes! Bleeding Cool is a nightmare - that's why I read their articles (for the most part) via Feedly, so I just get the bare text and pictures. It isn't quite as bad reading it from my laptop, but if I try on my phone it's just an avalanche of freaking pop-ups.

    ReplyDelete