Sunday, February 28, 2016

Library checkouts 2/27/16

So I like to go to the local library a lot and seeing as how this is a book blog, I thought I'd post my checkouts from yesterday's trip.

(via Macmillan)
Kell is one of the last Travelers-magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel universes, connected by one magical city.

There's Grey London, dirty and boring, without any magic, and with one mad king-George III. Red London, where life and magic are revered-and where Kell was raised alongside Rhys Maresh, the rougish heir to a flourishing empire. White London-a place where people fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. And once upon a time, there was Black London. But no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red Traveler, ambassador of the Maresh empire, carrying the monthly correspondences between the royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.
I've seen this on the shelf before, but overlooked it since I wasn't sure if it was my type of fantasy. But after seeing it on a few book blogs over on Tumblr, I decided to read a little of it and quickly fell into my 'to be read' queue. I plan on starting it as soon as I finish The Eyre Affair, which will be soon.

(via Amazon)
Hotel Pastis is about Simon Shaw, an ad executive in his 40s who after a divorce and burned out by his clients, ends up in a village in an area of Provence, France called the Luberon. Here, he decides to convert an abandoned police station into the eponymous Hotel Pastis. I never heard of him under yesterday, but Peter Mayle has made a career out of writing fiction and non-fiction about his life in Provence. This is one of those "eh, I'll try it" novels. I don't know if I'll read it or even get around to reading it, but I might as well give it a whirl. I might be a Mayle fan and not even know it yet.

(via books, the universe, and everything)
 I was watching Young Frankenstein on Turner Classic Movies the other night and after it ended, they showed the trailer for the 1985 adaption of A Room With a View. The trailer peaked my interest and I decided a read a few pages of the novel yesterday and right in the TBR queue it went. I'm going to make an effort to read this book this year, if not this time around. I don't often renew books, but I will on this one.

(via The Lesser of Two Equals)
 I can't explain why I decided to check The Master and Margarita out. I've known of it for a while and maybe it was just the title, but I figure it's worth a try.

(via Goodreads)
 Same as the above, I chose this one out of impulse. F. Scott Fitzgerald is known today primarily for The Great Gatsby, but I think that I want to check out his other works instead.

Anything look good to you folks?

No comments:

Post a Comment