Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Off Topic Tuesday #2: Blogging for the fun of it

Because in the end, that's what blogging should be about: fun. I think one of the reasons why my blogging habits have been so erratic over the years is because I became disillusioned. When I first got into blogging way back in around 2005, it was a politic blog and I foolishly developed aspirations to become a big time political blogger, like Daily Kos, MyDD, and the like. When I switched gears and started my first "nerd" blog, I wanted to become one of the big leaguers and when neither panned out, it was hard to maintain interest. In effect, I forgotten that the reason why you blog is for the fun of it. Fortunately, I've started to drift away from that mentality.

A big part of this has been the realization that Nerd Trash doesn't have to be one of those big huge blogs and to tell the truth, I never want it to be like one of those. Rather, I started to look to other, smaller blogs like HeroPress, Siskoid's Blog of Geekery, Dave Ex Machina, MightyGodKing, and the like. They're not big, but that's what makes them so worth reading. The problem with what I call the "big-time" blogs is that since they rely almost exclusively on ad revenue or corporate ownership to exist, they focus on more generic content, like TV and movie news, trailers, and whatever mega-event is Marvel and DC happens to be doing or planning at the moment.. That's all well and good, but I'd rather read something more than the latest behind-the-scenes news about some superhero movie. What I like to read is articles that talk about old comics, classic video games, TV shows, movies, pop culture, and all of that.

Now, I'm not saying that these larger blogs are boring or otherwise not worth reading. Despite my preference, the big-timers are my go-to for when I want to know the happs on whatever movie or show catches my attention. But when I want to read somebody's take on like, I don't know, Youngblood, or about some 70s or 80s TV show that I've never heard of before, then I look elsewhere. That's the reason why I'm doing the Shout-Out feature on Fridays, to highlight these blogs.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for mentioning my humble offering in such lofty company (and your kind words). I think we all go through that "I'm gonna make it big" phase before settling into the "let's just have fun" groove.

    ReplyDelete