Thursday, June 16, 2016

Confession: I like Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe"

I was in a Big Lots1 today on a snack run while that song was blaring over the speakers and caught myself singing along under my breath and starting to groove a little. I'm not one to get jiggy with it (why yes, I am white, how'd you know?), but I realized that as far as modern pop songs go, "Call Me Maybe" isn't terrible. I wouldn't listen to it all of the time or with any real frequency, but I certainly wouldn't turn the dial if it came on the radio.



It manages to strike a balance between bubblegum pop, dance-pop, and regular pop music without going too far in any one direction, which broadens its appeal to wider audiences. It's a shame that this song has muffled Jepsen's music career by making her the Call Me Maybe Girl. Someone Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera managed to avoid that pitfall.

1: I guess if you don't have a Big Lots in your country, it's a discount store and buys and re-sells stuff that other retail outlets want or need to offload.

No comments:

Post a Comment