Friday, January 1, 2016

Books read in 2015 and 2016 reading plans

2015 was quite a fruitful year for me in terms of reading. I'm not entirely sure how, but I managed to read twelve books and several short stories, with the twelfth tome finished the last day of the year. Hit the jump to see the dirty dozen (click to embiggen any of them).








Six fantasy, four science fiction, a thriller, and whatever Never Let Me Go is. I've seen it referred to as science fiction and quasi-science fiction. This Is Not A Game was in the scifi/fantasy section at the local library, but isn't science fiction. I think only it's shelved there because the other books in the Dagmar Shaw series are science fiction. As for the short stories, those include four Bernard Malamuds, two Kurt Vonneguts, and one Alice Munro. I would recommend reading any and all of these books because they're pretty great.

And what of this year? I decided to set the goal of 15 books, since it's only three more than last year and I'd rather not go overboard.


What did I say about going overboard? Yeesh! So yeah, I started going through my own library to create a reading list and well things clearly got out of hand. It's 50 books total, but I unintentionally knocked it down to 49 after reading Never Let Me Go. As you can see, three of them are from the local lib, so their inclusion depends on their future availability. The copy of The Sword of Shannara unfortunately is falling apart, so I've got to buy a copy of my own in the mean time.

Now obviously there's no way I'm going to conquer 49 books, so while my goal is set at 15, I'll actually be trying to read as many of these as I can, with the remainder forming the 2017 reading pile. My strategy is to focus on the smaller books and clear them out of the way being tackling the door stoppers.

First book of the year is Neil Gaiman's Stardust. I think I've had this thing for close to a decade and just never got around to reading it. Well, that's going to change. I have a number of his books and I plan on reading as many of them as I can this year.

So, see any books in this post that you like or that you've read? Tell me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment