Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Just finished Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach

I'll write a longer post about it later, but suffice to say I wasn't whelmed. The main problem was how the romance between Devi, the heroine, and Rupert, the Glorious Fool's cook dragged the main plot down. The ending also left me less than satisfied.

In any case, I've managed to read four books this month, which is an achievement I'm quite proud of. I had set a goal of reading at least fifteen this year and with only eleven left and January not quite over yet, I'd say that I'm in pretty good shape. So what's the next book on the old reading list?

Oh yeeeeah. I actually started this last year and like too many books, it fell by the wayside as I got into other books instead. I picked it back up yesterday while taking a short break from Fortune's Pawn and I'm already closing in on page 100. My aim is to have it packed away sometime in early February. I know I'm not going to be able to read four books a month regularly, I at least want to try for three.

But wait, there's more. I'm still jonesing for science fiction, I'm going to start reading one alongside Mistborn. I usually do this whenever I feel like taking a break from whatever I'm reading or if I just otherwise don't feel like reading it at the moment. 60% of the time, it works every time. I don't think reading two books will hinder me, since Mistborn is my primary focus. Plus, it'll give me a leg up once I'm done with Mistborn, since I'll already have started the next book. So, what's the next book? I've got four choices:


 Cordelia's Honor is another one of those books I started last year and I really enjoyed it. What can I say? I like military science fiction with female protagonists.

I've had this one for so many years, that I can't even remember if I bought it new or used. Timothy Zahn is the guy who wrote the legendary Thrawn Trilogy of Star Wars novels, which not only made it on the New York Times bestseller list, but also helped renew interest in the franchise. I've made several attempts with Night Train to Rigel, but that was before I gained a new appetite for reading, so now might be the right time.

Where Honor Harrington is supposed to be like Horatio Hornblower in space, the RCN series is supposed to be akin to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels. What I've read of With the Lightnings wasn't bad, with the only downside is that I would probably end up as a fan of yet another book series.

 Another book that I've had for a while now and unlike Night Train to Rigel, I CAN remember that I bought this new. Absolutely no clue why I never read the thing all the way through, because I really liked it. I still need to acquire Altered Carbon, the first Takeshi Kovacs novel. I believe the books are stand-alone, but I still want it.

Choices, choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment