Thursday, January 14, 2016

Moving on from The Magicians

No, I didn't finish it, but rather moving on to something else. I realized last week that while I could read the words and turn the pages, I didn't really have much desire to. It's not from having read too much fantasy fiction, because I finished the re-read of Storm Front (the Dresden Files, Jim Butcher) I started last year instead. I'm going to set The Magicians aside and revisit the book later and see if time changes my mind about it or whether I should just box it for Goodwill.

So what am I reading now?

Kris Longknife is a daughter of privilege, born to money and power. Her father is the prime minister of her home planet, her mother the consummate politician's wife. She's been raised only to be beautiful and marry well. But the heritage of the military Longknifes courses through Kris' blood - and, against her parents' objections, she enlists in the Marines.

She has a lot to live up to and a lot to prove in the long-running struggle among her powerful family, a highly defensive - and offensive - Earth, and the hundreds of warring colonies. Then an ill-conceived attack brings the war close to home, putting Kris' life on the line. Now she has only one choice: certain death on the front lines of rim space - or mutiny.
It's pretty good so far. Not blowing my socks off, but not bad for the first book in a series. I'm already planning on buying the second (Deserter) and maybe the third (Defiant) books this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment